Here’s a look at what I’m thinking about and planning for 2016. There’s a lot here, so I’m interested to see how well I can stick to this. I also plan to do periodic check-ins (maybe quarterly) on my status of the various goals/activities, in addition to my regular posts.
Goal for next year: Read 24 books (2 books per month). This is a low goal for me considering previous years, but I feel that it will be difficult to read as many books as I used to with a baby! I think having a smaller goal will help me savor the books I do read and also help me remember them better. (One thing I’ve noticed about reading so many books is I often forget I’ve read something or only have a vague memory of the book because I jump right into the next one).
I also plan to complete the books sitting on my currently reading list on Goodreads. There are some that have been on there for a long time! (see list to the right)
There is one book I’d like to focus on that has been sitting on my bookshelf for a while. I purchased Q&A a Day: 5-Year Journal back in 2012, but always forgot about it. Each page represents a day and has a question on it. You answer the question on the day noted (you provide the year). There are 5 spots on each page so you answer the question for 5 years. For example, one of the days the question is as simple as “What song is stuck in your head?” Other days the questions are more introspective, such as “What do you think is your biggest shortcoming?” I really liked the concept when I saw this, and kept meaning to start it each new year but kept forgetting. While reorganizing my bookshelf in the new house, I rediscovered it and will use it, starting January 1.
And thanks to hubby, I now have the perfect spot for reading: my reading nook! It was one of my Christmas presents this year (He made the little table that the lantern is sitting on and the chair was my grandfather’s.) It’s on the little landing at the top of our stairs. I absolutely love it!
As mentioned in one of my recent posts, I have a few diaper pouch & changing pad combos to make. I’d like to bang these out early in the year, but first I must set up my sewing station!
Other sewing projects I’d like to accomplish: make a dress, pair of pants, and top (at least!). I’d like to participate in the Monthly Stitch Challenge hosted by The Monthly Stitch (which I discovered through Andi’s blog, sew pretty in pink). Each month there will be a different theme to follow for your make. (January’s is already posted and it is “Cheers to the New Year” — create a garment inspired by a favorite beverage). So be on the look out for those posts!
I’d also like to participate in #stitchingsanta (which is a Secret Santa for crafters), created and hosted by Sheila at sewchet next year. After seeing a number of people I follow participating in it, I’d really like to participate, too. You have the option of knitting, sewing, or both. I think both is too much to handle, and will probably participate in the sewing.
The main knitting project I’d like to complete in 2016 (preferably earlier in the year so I can wear it when the weather gets cooler) is the CustomFit sweater I “started” earlier in 2015. (I only have the waistband and a couple of rows of the body completed.)
I’d also like to do a few other small projects as well, so I’ve been refreshing my queue on Ravelry.
30×30 list items to carry over
There were some things on my 30×30 list that I really want to do sooner rather than later. Hubby and I have also talked about doing a lot of outdoorsy things with Baby D, so maybe we’ll be able to combine the two!
- NYC weekend (which we’re talking about doing to go see a new Cirque du Soleil show that’s opening on Broadway in the spring)
- Pay off 2 student loans
- ZooLights (would be fun to do with D as he’ll be 1 when they start up!) — we actually almost went a couple of days before Christmas (had made a plan to meet with my sister and scheduled a time and everything), but it got really cold and windy and we didn’t want to take Baby D out in the cold.
- Make a pie & pasta from scratch
- Take a boxing class (there’s a place right down the street from my house!)
New Blog Categories:
Baking & Cooking
I’d like to tackle my Pinterest baking & cooking pins. I went through them the other day to see which ones I would realistically attempt. There will probably be more baking than cooking, but I’d like to get out of comfort zone a bit and have some focus on cooking. (I recently made peanut butter banana bars from a recipe I pinned, and because it was so successful it’s made me want to try more, so I figured why not document it here?)
From time to time, I’ll post about life as a working mom and my thoughts, concerns, joys, and fears.
A few other thoughts/plans for the year:
- I’d like to build & maintain a budget. For real. I always say I’m going to do this, or start some half-assed version, but this year, I really want to better focus on it. I’d also like to focus on paying off my debt. I really like the idea of ordering debt from smallest dollar amount to largest and as the smaller ones get paid off taking that amount and applying it to the next loan to pay off faster (I think it’s called snowball something? A few weeks ago I read a post about how a couple paid off thousands of dollars in one year based on something like that as well as following a strict budget. I forget where I read it though. If I remember/find it, i’ll update with the link here!)
- I want to take a break from Facebook. I think I’m on it too much, especially when I’m trying to stay awake in the middle of the night during feedings. I’m going to deactivate my account for the month of January and see how that works out. I’ll still be on here, though!
- Of course, our annual camping trip will happen again. Likely in mid-August instead of early July like this year, based on schedules.
- If we can work our budget right, I’d like to have a few weekend getaways throughout the year. And a big trip we’d like to do is going back to Aruba in December with hub’s side of the family like we’ve done in the past (we did 2010, 2011, & 2012; but have not gone since).
So as I mentioned at the beginning of this post, there are quite a few goals and ideas for 2016. But I’m excited to tackle them and hope to be fairly successful. Of course, plans can change at anytime, but as of right now, this is where I am. (and thanks for reading all the way to the end!)
What are your plans/goals/activities for 2016?