The Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish. Every week they choose a new topic for bloggers to list their top ten of whatever books fit into the category. (the image above is linked to today’s post at The Broke and the Bookish)
Today’s Top Ten: Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books
This one is TOUGH! I have a few favorite books, and have read so many, so to choose some quotes is going to be difficult. I’m also one that tends to read without pausing to take notes or highlight comments (a feature I really need to start taking advantage of on my Kindle!). I’ve had a little notebook for about, I don’t know, almost 10 years in which I write quotes from things I see (movies, books, song lyrics, quotes of the day from various internet sites, etc.). I know I have a couple of books quotes in there, so I’ll have to grab that. I don’t know if I’m going to be able to come up with 10. I think I need to start paying more attention when I read, if that makes sense….
Anyway, without further ado:
1. “What is life but a series of inspired follies? The difficulty is to find them to do.” – Pygmalion, George Bernard Shaw
2. “…but most of all I noticed the quiet; the quiet of a world free from flying machines, traffic and large cities. The industrial age had only just begun; the planet had reached its Best Before date.” – The Eyre Affair, Jasper Fforde
3. “Tolle lege, Tolle lege” (“Take up and read”) – The Confessions, St. Augustine
4. “The course of true love never did run smooth” – Lysander, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, William Shakespeare
5. “A dream itself is but a shadow.” – Hamlet, Hamlet, William Shakespeare
6. “Like all things in the universe, we are destined from birth to diverge. Time is simply the yardstick of our separation. If we are particles in a sea of distance, exploded from an original whole, then there is a science to our solitude. We are lonely in proportion to our years.”The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason
7. “Emotion doesn’t travel in a straight line. Like water, our feelings trickle down through cracks and crevices, seeking out the little pockets of neediness and neglect, the hairline fractures in our character usually hidden from public view. Beware the dark pool at the bottom of our hearts. In its icy black depths dwell strange and twisted creatures it is best not to disturb.” – I is for Innocent, Sue Grafton
8. “For it matters not how small the beginning may seem to be: what is once well done is done forever.”- Civil Disobedience, Henry David Thoreau
Okay, so those are the few book quotes I had written down. Since I don’t have others written (or memorized) the next couple quotes are some of my favorites.
9. “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” – St. Augustine
10. “Words aught to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought on the unthinking.” – John Maynard Keynes