First of all, Merry Christmas!
I get emails from Twitter about the people I follow and their recent posts. I got an email with a tweet about The Morning News’s 2013 Tournament of Books. Now normally, I just delete these Twitter emails, but when I saw the brief tidbit in the email, I decided to click on it and check it out. It seems pretty interesting, so I think I”m going to check it out. I thought I’d share it since I know many of you like to participate in book related things. Plus, I always enjoy doing things like this when I can chat about it with someone 🙂
I’ve never heard of this before, but apparently they’ve been doing this for quite a while (it’s the ninth annual!).
My understanding is that this is a head-to-head bracket style showdown which will occur in March, (like college basketball’s March Madness), but they decided to post the list of books now to give people a chance to read the books before March so they can fully participate. The winners are chosen by the judges (listed on the website link above), but we get to add our thoughts. There are contests, prizes, etc. Go check out the site to see if you’d be interested and let me know what you think.
The winning book gets the Rooster.
The Sweet 16 of the tournament are:
The 2013 Tournament of Books Finalists
- HHhH by Laurent Binet
- The Round House by Louise Erdrich
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Arcadia by Lauren Groff
- How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti
- May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes
- The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson
- Ivyland by Miles Klee
- Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
- Dear Life by Alice Munro
- Where’d You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
- Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
- Building Stories by Chris Ware
- [Winner of the Pre-Tournament Playoff Round]Pre-Tournament Playoff Round]
Pre-Tournament Playoff Round
- Fobbit by David Abrams
- Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain
- The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers