Last Friday I decided to look up websites where I could get fabric samples. I was hoping to get free ones, but didn’t really find any sites out there that I thought were secure – so if anyone knows of any, please share!
Anyway, I went to fabric.com and was able to get some samples for $1.75/each. But with a valid coupon I found on retailmenot.com, I ended up getting each for about $1.50 instead. I wanted to get fabric samples to feel the types of fabrics (not to choose a print for a pattern).
I’m still really new to sewing and fabric choices and it seems I always end up getting some type of cotton (usually the keepsake calico) from JoAnn’s. Sometimes they turn out to be a bit too stiff. But I figured ordering some samples will be able to help me choose fabrics better if I know what they feel like, how heavy they are, how sheer, etc. Maybe I’ll feel more confident going to a different section in the store or buying fabric online… we’ll see.
Here’s the list of fabrics I got, matching the image starting at the top left (going clockwise):
1. Designer Cotton Lawn Abstract Stripes and Dots Orange/Yellow
2. Bloom Stretch Cotton Sateen Specs Red
3. Cotton Lawn Paisley Motif Brown/White
4. Tina Givens Havens Edge Cotton Voile Walls Violet
5. Satin Charmeuse Cow Light Pink/Mocha
6. Boutique Crepe de Chine Penguins Mustard (I didn’t even realize these were penguins when I ordered it. Apparently, I didn’t read the name!)
7. Valori Wells Novella Rayon Challis Rain Gypsy
8. Blossom Chiffon Abstract Stripe Blue
9. Stretch Panne Velvet Orange
10. Hi Multi Chiffon Lacey Paisley Black/Purple
11. Cotton Twill Lime
I ordered two other samples, but one was no longer available and the other is on back order. (The back-order one is Salt Water Laminated Cotton Sea Stripes Coral)
What are your experiences with fabric? Do you buy on-line? Why or why not?